Monday, March 10, 2008

Sam's Stake Priesthood Talk

Sam was asked by the Stake President to give a talk at Stake Priesthood Meeting yesterday 03/09/2008. I was not able to hear him give it of course but LaVor said he did a wonderful job. Here is a copy of his talk:

Sam’s Stake Priesthood Talk 3/9/2006

Good evening brothers, my name is Sam Haynie. My family is 7 months new to Tulsa, OK. We moved from Madison Alabama last August. We came from a very good ward. We moved in to the New Haven ward which is also a very good ward and we seem to be fitting in very good. Last week President Welch called me and asked me to give a talk about how being a deacon helps prepare you to be a teacher, which I experienced recently.

The priesthood has really blessed all of my family. I have had so many great examples like my brother Jarom. While growing up he always wanted to go on a mission. When he turned 19 he changed his mind and decided not to go on a mission. A few months went by and I am sure he did some soul searching because he then decided to go on a mission. He served his mission in Sofia, Bulgaria, he came back so differently, before he left he was that immature teenager every adult despises but when he returned he had a great testimony of the gospel and had blessed many lives because of it. He got married shortly after his mission to my wonderful sister-in-law and they just had their first child, Addison Elizabeth Haynie. I have always looked up to my brother mainly because he is a very good example. He has helped me with everything and anything I needed. He has been a good example of a priesthood bearer.

I have a brother in law, Xavier, who is here this evening. He was not brought up in the church and so didn’t have the examples that I have had in my life. I look up to him though because he loves the Lord and is getting his family ready to attend and be sealed in the Holy Temple. He is a good example to me of a priesthood bearer.

My father is also a good man. I love him very much. When I was a baby he blessed me and gave me a name. He also baptized me and confirmed me a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He along with my brother has ordained me to be a deacon and a teacher. I am truly blessed because of my dad and he is a good example to me.

My parents have been the ones always there for me. They decided they wanted to have a large family and there are 6 girls and 2 boys. I have no clue what possessed my parents to do that but I am happy they did. My parents keep things straight in the house and support all 8 of us. I love them for giving me a strong foundation to start my life in with the church and a good family. I will serve a mission one day and get married and have children and be sealed in the temple, and I will join them in the celestial kingdom.

Being a deacon in my old ward wasn’t anything unusual. We never had to have adults help pass because we had so many deacons. When I moved to the New Haven Ward, for a little bit I was the only deacon in the ward, when I finally became a teacher, New Haven ward had no deacons at all. When you are a deacon you pass the sacrament, they also collect the fast offerings. Teachers can perform all of these duties, and they also receive other opportunities to serve. Teachers prepare the sacramental water and bread and they clean it up when sacrament meeting is over. Once you are a teacher you have the chance to home teach, which is truly a blessing. Not to long ago Brother Tanner and I went Home Teaching and I felt the spirit a lot more than I do when someone home teachers our family. I am really looking forward to home teaching again. And I urge all Home Teachers to go and teach your families, I know you will receive blessings.

A great scripture reference to this topic is D&C 20:53-59:

53 The teacher’s duty is to watch over the church always, and be with and strengthen them;
54 And see that there is no iniquity in the church, neither hardness with each other, neither lying, backbiting, nor evil speaking;
55 And see that the church meet together often, and also see that all the members do their duty.
56 And he is to take the lead of meetings in the absence of the elder or priest---
57 And is to be assisted always, in all his duties in the church, by the deacons, if occasion requires.
58 But neither teachers nor deacons have authority to baptize, administer the sacrament, or lay on hands;

Another one is D&C 42:12:

12 And again, the elders, priests and teachers of this church shall teach the principles of my gospel, which are in the Bible and the Book of Mormon, in the which is the fullness of the gospel.

I’d like to bear my testimony, that I know our Savior is here watching us right now, and he loves us. I know he wants us to fulfill the responsibilities of the priesthood and to make the best of it. I know that Joseph Smith restored the priesthood and the Gospel and I believe in the Book of Mormon and his works completely. I know that through the priesthood, which we all hold, that we can make this church grow. I believe in missionary work and I cannot wait to serve one of my own. I’m so thankful for families and that they can live together eternally through marriage in the temple. I’m thankful to be in this stake, I’m so glad that no matter what Stake or ward you are in you always feel at home and that the Gospel is true no matter where you go. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

4 comments:

Carly A said...

I LOVE that boy! He is so amazing!

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

What a great kid. And obviusly, you are an amazing mother, Michelle. Missing you so much lately.....

Fig said...

How fabulous. We love Sam and are so proud of him! You, Mrs. Haynie, have really great kids. :-)

Lisha said...

Way to go Sam! I had to speak in Stake Conference once, and it was so nerve-racking, I'm sure you were nervous! I bet you did a great job, and what you prepared was fabulous! Love you!

signature