Sunday, March 1, 2009

Carly Throughout the Years

As a mother brings into the world her child she hopes and wishes the best for the little one. She wants a life of happiness, success and peace for her. She wants her to be able to experience life to the fullest...Carly Denise Haynie
January 16, 1985
11:15 pm
7 pounds 10 ounces
21 inches
Fourth Child
Third daughter
born to LaVor and Michelle Haynie
Carly was born with a head full of dark hair.

When Heavenly Father takes something he always gives back more...
One of the hardest things I have done was to call my mother after Carly was born and tell her that Carly was born without a hand. I didn't want my mom to be hurt or worried but of course she was she is a mother. But throughout the years the relationship between my mom and daughter has grown into one that is very much like my own with my mom. My mom has held Carly's hand many times...
When we brought Carly home it was a good week before Jarom (he was 22 months) realized that she didn't have a hand. When he did finally notice it he ran across the room away from her and was afraid to come near. After time he came closer and looked at her hand and then slowly reached out and touched it...and all was okay.
I also remember being very hesitant to take her to church...I was worried that people would shun her and treat her different thinking that she wasn't perfect.
My first week to church a friend of mine pulled off the sock I put on her stub to cover it, held her stub in her hand and told me what a beautiful baby I had...
I never forgot that...she was and is beautiful.
Jarom and Carly


I love sleeping babies!Carly loves popsicle big sister Alisha is feeding her!
(Check out the infamous mohawk)
Carly always had a smile.

This picture was posted to remember" blankie" when she was pretty and pink.
Carly still sleeps with "blankie" to this day...ask Mike.
This is one of my favorite pictures of Carly and Jarom.
It was taken in the back yard of 8557 Schneple Drive, San Diego.

Same day with daddy.

Learning to sit...6 months.
(Aunt Debbie in background)
Carly's smile covered her whole face...ear to ear.
(again sporting the infamous mohawk)

1 year oldAt La Jolla beach with mommy.
Think we need some tans!
Carly doing the "Lacey Lips"
Easter 1986

1st birthday


Picnic with cousin Brittani

Mommy and Carly
Sweet Kisses
Our little family...
Carly, Daddy, Mommy
Jarom, Kiara, Alisha
Carly and Grandma
Here's her smile again...Jarom trying hard to be in the picuture.

Carly and Daddy








Kids with Grandma Haynie
Grandma, Alisha, Kiara
Jarom, Carly

Sweet face
2 year old

Carly and Wilbur the cat. Easter 1987

Chicken pox!
She got one on her right eyelid and her eye was so swollen she had a hard time opening it up.
Jarom got the Chicken Pox the same time and so we had a very fun time...not! Aunt Debbie loved Carly!
Christmas 1987

3 year old birthday party.

Left to right: Katie Brower, Jarom, Kara Mangum, Lacey (can't remember her last name), Kristy(can't remember her's either) and Carly.
At the park with Shannon and Susan MacMillan. Shannon was a little girl that was born without a hand. We met them at the doctor's and became good friends.
Carly and Cousin Kate
3 year old


In the hall at 8557 Schneple Drive, San Diego
Christmas 1987

Family Manger scene:
Mary (Carly), Joseph (Cousin Eric)

Family Reunion at Henry's Lake


Carly holding cousin Sagan

These are Carly's hand specialists:
Dr. Sedaguchi, Occupational therapist Cindy and I can't remember the prosthetist name : (

4 year old

In the backyard of the home on Bootes in San Diego

This is one of Carly's favorites dresses.
She wore it everytime I got it washed.
She did look so cute in it.


Another family reunion at Henry's Lake.
Cousin Brittani and Clayton.

Rolling down the hill.
Love the mountains in the background.

Beautiful Utah summers.
Carly with daddy and Grandpa Brimhall.
5 year old When I sent Carly off to Kindergarten it was with some trepidation.
I know how cruel kids could be and I didn't want anyone to hurt her.
Her kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Tamara Smith and she assured me that she would do all that she could do to make sure that Carly had a successful year.
Below are pictures of a PTA meeting that her class performed a patriotic song and dance for. They came out marching and singing and at the very end the did a ripple where they grabbed each other's hand. The litle boy didn't even hesitate when it came time to grab Carly's hand. He took it and they did the ripple.
It was at this time with tears rolling down my cheeks (yes at the PTA meeting) that I realized that my daughter was going to be just fine and I had no reason to worry.
I know that little boy never knew what he did for me that day...






Kindergarten 1990

Christmas 1990
Summer swimming at Flagstone Apts. 1st grade 6 year old birthday
2nd grade Carly in her infamous "brown" Easter dress
(Also the infamous pepto bismal pink bug)
1992
Helping Grandpa B pick peas

Cousin Sagan and Carly
Floating on her back
At Grandma's B
Lacey, Carly and Cousin Brett
Carly and Katie Brower

There isn't anything Carly can't do...even eat a popsicle while given Lexi her paci!
Swimming with the Dolphins relay take off...
Pretty as flowers:
Cousin Brittani and Carly
Sleeping sisters:
Alisha, Lacey, Carly and Kiara
Bronze medalist for the Dolphins
Carly and friend Jordan
President Bush came to Huntsville and Carly's 3rd grade went to the airport to greet him.
Carly and friend Kim Bodily held the sign to welcome him.
Notice Airforce One in the background!
Carly and Lacey

3rd grade Carly, Lexi, Aunt Debbie and Lacey
Carly, Lexi and Lacey


Sleeping Lacey and Carly


Guess who is in the pillows...


Here's a good picture of the prosthesis' that were made for Carly.
She could use them and she made them functional but she was always so much better doing things with her stub.

Heaven knows what she threw up to catch...
Carly and Lexi in the infamous Daisy Kingdom dresses I made.

4th grade Getting American Girl Dolls for Christmas
5th grade6th grade Carly and Abby on Abby's blessing day.


7th grade
7th grade



11 year old birthday



Carly an Lacey
8th grade

13 year old

Never tell Carly she can't do something...
She came home and said she wanted to try out for Cheerleading.
I told her that she probably wouldn't make it, but she proved me wrong.
And she was the best cheerleader that Libery Middle School and Bob Jones High School ever had!
(of course I am not biased or anything)


9th gradeShe wanted to go to Homecoming with friends in 8th grade.
I made her a dress and did her hair.
She looks so grown up!
Jarom was her chaperone.

Carly's best friend Lauren Mills.
They were always doing something crazy like this mud fight...

Again I told Carly that she probably wouldn't win when she wanted to enter into the Miss Madison Beauty Pageant.
She won of course...1st place.


Family reunion at Bryce Canyon

Lauren and Carly going to prom I think... Painting her bedroom
with Lauren

Happy 16th birthday.
She wanted a car and so I made her a pink car cake!



Blanket for Christmas
10th grade Madison Dolphins 15-18 year old relay team:
Kaitlin ? ,Carly, Stacie Pearson and Grace Toles

Carly, Erin Lunn, Liane Pedroso, Whitney Stem




Erin Lunn, Stacie Pearson, Carly, Marie Owsleski

1st place Fort Payne District
Ready set GO!!!
Carly and friend Wade Thaxton

Jarom and Carly at Jarom's farewell.

Lacey, Carly and Kiara
Senior Portrait Training for the paralympics 2008
She won the Bronze medal in the 100 meter breaststroke in Athens Greece.
She holds the national record in the 100 meter breaststroke and there is rumors that she will participate in the 2012 paralympics in London England.



Carly attended BYU where she earned her bachelor's degree in Family Home and Marriage Science.
Kalee, Kamala and Carly

Carly and Kiara



She met Mike Adams while attending BYU and fell in love
Mike took Carly by the hand for time and all eternity.
They were married February 10, 2007





Carly with friend AshleyThe last person to take Carly's hand is her little girl:
Avery Faith Adams
Born December 4, 2007





I love you Carly Denise Haynie Adams.

What a blessing and joy you have been throughout the years.

7 comments:

Carly A said...

Yay! I haven't seen some of those pictures! I was thinking we should do a post for my blanky... it definitely has seen better days. Michael asked if that was really my hair when I was a baby. Haha. Oh and I love how big my head was compared to my body. And the shot of Lacey's panties...

The Happy Haynie Family said...

Don't read this yet...I am still working on it. I couldn't figure out how to save it without posting it.

Beth said...

Cute pictures!

Dawn, said...

Wow! Carly always looked like herself. I know that sounds dumb, but in every picture I can find her immediately. And her big smile hasn't changed a bit. I remember when I moved back to AL, meeting Carly for the first time and thinking she had the BEST grin!!

Fig said...

This made me cry.

You're such a great mom, and you have such awesome (and gorgeous!) kids.

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

This made both me and Kelly a little teary! We miss you guys! I have many memories of Carly, but one of my first ones is of Bruce and me blowing bubbles off our balconey at Flagstone while the Haynie and Thaxton kids chased the bubbles on the ground....They were all such cute and sweet kids! We loved them and hoped our future kids would be as cool as all those neat little Haynie kids! Thanks for the memories! ;)

shari said...

Awe! Sweet post.So many of Carly's clothes in the pictures look like Kimberly's. The big bows on the head and the "Daisy Kingdom" dresses. So funny.

signature