Friday, August 13, 2010

First Day of School

Yesterday was the first day of school.

The kids were all in bed the night before by 9 pm??!! What's up with that??? All summer long they were up til midnight and most nights after that! It was strange...the house had an eerie feel to it. Maybe it helped that Sam and Abby spent the entire day before school at the lake skiing and were worn out when they got home.

The morning of the first day of school everyone was up by 6 am (I'm sure the bedtime the night before greatly helped) and everyone was in school including Chase by 8:50. Lacey was able to get off a little while to take Chase to his first day.

Sam was too cool to have mom take him to school...he had a friend pick him up.

Abby and friend Ashley were ready by 7:15 and I dropped them off to their first day of high school. They are both freshmen and Jenks has Freshman Academy at the high school. So they thought they were pretty big stuff being on Jenks High School Campus!!

I enjoyed the day with Baby D and Lexi (she claims she has just started summer since her last day of nannying was Wednesday and she doesn't start school until Monday. She is also looking at getting a job at Logan's Steakhouse waitressing.

Abby and Sam got home around 3 pm and I was to pick Chase up at 3:52 pm at the stop sign right by our house...now this is where the story gets good...we waitied until 4:15 for the bus to come (school is out at 3:30, but it was the first day of school and so I wasn't too alarmed that the bus was late). Everyone got off the bus, but not Chase. I asked the bus driver if he had seen a little curly head boy with a red shirt. He said he couldn't really say because there were a lot of kids. At this point I thought that he was at the back of the bus and just didn't realize that this is where he should get off. I got on the bus and walked to the back and there was no Chase!! The bus driver called to the school and they had several little kids missing but none of them were a curly head, red shirt little boy. All I could think of was that Chase had gotten off at the first stop, not knowing which stop to get off at, and was wondering around Tulsa not knowing where he was going. It has been EXTREMELY HOT...like around 110 degrees and so I was worried. I had no car because Lexi had gone to Lacey's work to help her get her school room straightened. I called the school myself and they said they would try to find him. I then called Lacey and told her to get to the school asap because Chase was not on the bus. She said she dropped everything and ran to the school. Lexi came home and got me and I went to the school. I got the bus' route and went to the first stop and asked a lady if she had seen a little curly head, red shirt boy wandering around. She said she didn't and I gave her my name and number to call in case she did. Then I continued driving around hoping to find Chase. Meanwhile Lacey was still at the school shedding a few tears. She said she finally decided to sit down and say a little prayer that he would be found and that he would be okay. It was about this time that his teacher had the idea that maybe he just might be in the gym with the extended day care. She quickly walked over there and guess what....there he was....all safe and sound, eating a snack and watch kids play on the wii. Apparently he had a couple of friends that went to extended day and so he thought this sounded like a good thing to do and just followed them to the gym. I was a little amazed that the workers for extended day didn't realize that he was not enrolled, but nonetheless they didn't. Lacey was so relieved!! This morning I was telling Chase that he needed to get on the bus and come home. He looked up at me and said, "Nuna, they have free snacks and they get to play the wii!!!" I had to laugh, but I told him that I was his extended care and he needed to come home and I would give him free food and I would let him play on the computer, and he needed to get on the bus and get home.

So this afternoon I found a curly hair little boy on the bus and I brought him home and gave him a snack and he played on the computer....and we called his mom and told her that he made it home okay. And all is well...

2 comments:

kaitlan said...

Wow that is one emorable first day of school for all of you. So glad Chase was found safe.

Unknown said...

This brought back memories of Luke and Anjuli's first day of school when we moved back to New Mexico from Chandler, AZ. They did get on the bus, but just picked a stop that looked pretty good...
I searched and their brothers searched and finally(after getting totally frantic, then getting a grip and saying that all important little prayer or two) got a call from a lady who had called their school and got my number from the office.
Your story gave me flashbacks and a few tears! I love that little curly haired boy and am so glad he was safe!...Love you all!~Me

signature